Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Candy Bars

For my first "official" food post, I had grand ideas of posting a highly nutritious, vegetable-filled main-course that would get everyone's taste buds up and dancing. Unfortunately, I have a sweet-tooth roughly the size of Texas and couldn't help myself.  :-)  However, even though we try to eat a whole-foods, predominately plant based diet at our house, there is still room for treats on occasion. (Like, the occasion of "I need me some chocolate"). I like this recipe because while not "nutritious," it is a somewhat healthy treat (not something to have every day). I found the original recipe here - it looked good and tasted even better so I thought I'd share! So, here is something sweet, chocolate-y, (and my personal favorite) EASY.  Let me know what you think!


First, you'll need some stuff. I bet you already have most of this in the cupboard. If you are a hard-core nutritionist, which apparently I am not, you can find better (more natural) versions of the products pictured above. I, however, live in the middle of nowhere and sometimes have to take what I can get. 



 Melt coconut oil, honey & PB. 



Stir in chocolate chips. Resist urge to eat directly from pan.



Take off heat and add in cranberries & oatmeal.



The original recipe suggested pouring it into a 9x13 inch pan, but I like 'em thick, so I used an 8x8. Use whatever size floats your boat and then stick it in the fridge until they firm up. Or until you can't take it anymore. (*Guilty).

Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Candy Bars


1 C peanut butter (natural)

2/3 C honey

1/2 C coconut oil

2 C oats (not instant)

1 1/4 C chocolate chips (original recipe called for mini, I used dark, regular-sized chips)

3/4 C dried cranberries

In a medium sized saucepan, melt together peanut butter, coconut oil and honey.

Remove from heat and add chocolate chips, cranberries and oats. Stir until combined and chips are melted. 

Spread into 9x13 pan (for thin bars) or 8x8 for thick bars. Refrigerate until hardened, about 1 hour. Store in refrigerator. 

2 comments:

  1. Just made these for dessert! Decided to do it cookie style, and turned out great that way too. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete